Dates in Edgewood Borough History
The Borough of Edgewood has been designated an historic
district by the Pittsburgh History and Landmark Foundation. Dec.
1, 1888 Edgewood Borough Incorporated.
- Mar. 8, 1890 Edgewood's first election was held at the Edgewood
- 1890 S.W. Dermitt, was appointed Edgewood's first Postmaster and Tax
- 1891 Edgewood's first school, a four room brick building, was
- Dec. 17, 1891 Edgewood Presbyterian Church organized.
- Sep. 20, 1892 Cornerstone was laid for first edifice of Edgewood
- Oct. 6, 1892 Edgewood School opened.
- May 28, 1893 Dedication of Edgewood Presbyterian Church.
- 1898 Spanish American War troop trains went through Edgewood. Dec.
- 1899 School for the Deaf destroyed by fire.
- 1900 Edgewood Civic Club organized.
- Mar. 12, 1900 School for the Deaf reopened in temporary buildings.
- 1901 President William McKinley's funeral train passed through
- May 6, 1901 Cornerstone laid for new building for School for the
- May 14, 1903 Dedication of new building of School for the Deaf.
- Jul. 2, 1904 Charter of Edgewood Club approved.
- 1905 Brick and shingle Station House erected.
- 1915 Edgewood Cot Club organized.
- 1918 C.C. Mellor Memorial Library opened.
- 1932 Stone Municipal Building on Race Street constructed by Erik
Lawson. Won a national award for beauty of design - Clifford Lake,
- Dec. 15, 1938 Fiftieth Anniversary of Edgewood Borough.
- Feb. 25, 1940 Edgewood Garden Club organized.
- Jan. 6, 1944 Edgewood Historical Society organized.
- Oct. 13. 1944 American Legion Post organized.
- Dec. 1, 1988 100th Anniversary of Incorporation of Edgewood Borough.
Return to Top