Q: Where is the Edgewood Police Department located?  

A: The police department is located within the Edgewood borough building at 2 Race Street, Edgewood, Pennsylvania 15218.  The entrance is through the main door of the borough building.  Parking is available in the rear of the building.

Q: How do I file a police report, report a crime in progress, or speak to a police officer?  

A: For any of these situations please dial 911, even if it is not an immediate emergency.  Since December 2005, all police, fire and ambulance calls are being dispatched through the Allegheny County 911 Center.  At this point in time they do not have a public non-emergency contact number that routes calls directly to our dispatch desk.  Dialing 911 will connect you to them.  You may also come directly to the borough building.  If the front entrance is locked please pick up the phone and tell the operator that you need to speak to a police officer.  An officer will then be dispatched to meet you there.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of a police incident report and/or a state accident report and what are the fees?  

A: In order to obtain a report you will have to come to the police department Monday through Friday from 8:00AM until 12:00AM.  State accident reports may be obtained by your auto insurance carrier as well by having them call (412) 242-0958 during the same time frame.  The fee for state accident reports is $15.00 and all police incident reports are $20.00.

Q: What should I do if I am involved in an automobile accident?  

A: If there are no injuries and your vehicle is operable, move to the side of the roadway or to a nearby parking lot.  Leaving vehicles in the roadway increases the potential of being struck by passing motorists and creates heavy traffic congestion.  If there are injuries, or a vehicle is damaged to the point that it cannot be driven, call 911 immediately and request emergency assistance.  You may request police assistance for minor accidents with limited damage and no injuries, however, you are not required to by law.

Q: What kind of information do I need to gather from the other driver(s) if I am involved in an accident?  

A: Ask to see the other driver’s license, registration form, and insurance information.  You will be required to display the same upon request.  If the other driver(s) cannot provide these documents, or they ask you not to call the police, notify the police to respond and verify their information.  Record the information on these documents along with the location of the accident, time of day, witnesses, and any other information you may feel is important to document.  If the police respond and a state accident report is necessary, all of this information will be included in the report.  Failure to provide information is an offense under the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code.

Q: What should I do if I am pulled over by a police officer?  

A: If you are driving and a police car signals for you to stop, please pull as far to the right of the roadway as possible and stop your vehicle as soon as you safely can.  Remember, all police vehicles in Pennsylvania, and only police vehicles, are equipped with both red and blue lights. Try to remain calm, even if you are unsure as to why you were stopped, or if you don’t believe you did anything wrong.  If it is dark outside turn on your interior light so the officer(s) can see inside your vehicle. 

Try to keep your hands in an area where the officer(s) can see them (i.e., preferably on the steering wheel).  This is to help reassure the officer(s) that you aren’t looking to harm them.  Unfortunately, a large number of police officers are feloniously killed or assaulted every year across the United States on traffic stops.  Most of these stops started for what seemed to be a minor violation.  That being said, police officers are trained to be prepared for the worst possible scenario, even though the vast majority of persons stopped have no intentions of harming them.  Do not exit your vehicle unless you are asked to (this includes any passengers).

When the officer approaches your vehicle he/she will inform you of the reason for stopping you.  You will most likely be asked to produce a driver’s license, vehicle registration paperwork and proof of valid auto insurance.  The officer will probably allow you to explain your actions that led them to pulling you over.  Please try to do this in a respectful manner, even if you disagree with them.  The officer should treat you with the same courtesy.

If you lawfully possess a firearm on your person or in the vehicle, and believe that it may become exposed to the officer’s view, notify them before reaching for anything that may expose it.  The officer will then instruct you on how he/she wants to handle the situation.  You will probably be asked to display a valid license to carry a concealed firearm.  (Note: Pennsylvania law requires anyone that carries a loaded handgun concealed on their person, or in a vehicle, to have a lawfully issued license to do so, unless they are exempted under the statute.)

An officer typically has several choices as to how they are going to handle a traffic stop.  These choices can be dictated by several factors that the officer has to take into consideration.  He/she may give you a verbal warning for the infraction, issue you a written warning notice, issue you a state traffic citation(s), or make an arrest if circumstances warrant one.  Also, your vehicle may be legally towed under certain guidelines (e.g., no auto insurance, suspended driver’s license or vehicle registration, etc.). You are entitled to disagree with the course of action the officer chooses to take.  If you are issued a citation, or even arrested, it only means the officer believes there was sufficient reason for them to charge you with a violation (also known as “probable cause”). 

You are entitled to defend yourself against the charge(s) in a court of law and are not presumed as being guilty because you were cited, or even arrested.  However, bear in mind that the side of the roadway is no place to argue your case if you disagree with the officer.  You may not legally resist the officer’s attempt to cite you or arrest you, even if you believe they are wrong.  Doing so will only make a bad situation worse.  Try to keep your emotions in check and stay composed.  The officer(s) are expected to treat you professionally and courteously, but they are also allowed to reasonably defend themselves against any aggressive, threatening, or hostile behavior.  You may request an officer’s name and badge number and they should provide it to you before concluding the stop (if you are issued a citation it is contained on your copy).

Q: I was pulled over and issued a traffic citation.  If I plead guilty or am found guilty in court are there points assessed against my driving record?  

A: Not all offenses in the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code carry demerit points if you plead guilty or are convicted.  Click the following link for more information on the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation’s point system.  (Adobe Reader required.)

Q: I have a complaint about people consistently speeding on my street/failing to stop at posted signs, etc.  Can the police conduct extra traffic details in that problem area?  

A: You may report any traffic concerns you have by visiting the police department or calling us.  An officer may be assigned to conduct a traffic detail in that area.  This cannot be guaranteed though due to call volume and other daily responsibilities officers may have to tend to.  We will try our best to address your concerns as they may arise.  In an effort to reduce crime and keep the roadways safe for our residents and visitors, the Edgewood Police Department works hard to maintain a strong and visible presence in the community.

Q: Does the Edgewood Police Department provide fingerprinting services, and if so, what are the fees?  

A: Yes.  A police officer can process your fingerprints Monday through Friday from 8:00AM until 12:00AM at the police department.  The fee is $15.00 for residents of Edgewood Borough and $30.00 for non-residents.  Valid government issued photo identification is required.

Q: Does the Edgewood Police Department provide vehicle lockout assistance?  

A: For liability reasons, police officers are not permitted to attempt to open a locked vehicle to retrieve keys left inside.  An officer will be able to assist you in finding a licensed tow company to perform the service.  There may be fees assessed by the tow company that you will be responsible for.

Q: Does the Edgewood Police Department offer a “Citizens Police Academy?”  

A: Yes.  Please visit our “Citizens Police Academy” page for more information on the program and the requirements to apply. 

Q: Does the Edgewood Police Department allow ordinary citizens to participate in a “ride-along” program with an officer during his/her shift?  

A: No. Edgewood no longer offers this program.

Q: Are there any notable parking restrictions within the Borough of Edgewood?  

A: Yes.  The Borough of Edgewood restricts on-street parking between 3:00AM and 5:00AM.  It requires parked vehicles to display a valid Borough of Edgewood parking permit sticker in the top left-hand corner of the rear window.  A $20.00 fine may be levied for any violations.  Also, parking in borough owned parking lots is strictly prohibited unless a lot permit sticker is purchased and displayed in the top left-hand corner of the rear window.  This is also a $20.00 fine and your vehicle may be towed at your expense.

Q: What if I have company staying over?  Can a visitor park on the street overnight without a permit?  

A: Yes.  As of January 1, 2011 residents must purchase a “Visitor Pass” tag that is to be displayed on the rear-view mirror of the visitor’s vehicle.  There is no longer a “call-in” system in place.  This does not apply to borough owned parking lots.

Q: How do I obtain a Borough of Edgewood parking permit and/or “Visitor Pass” for on-street parking or lot spaces?  What are the fees?  

A: Please visit the police department Monday through Friday from 8:00AM until 12:00AM to purchase any parking permits.  If you wish to fill one out in advance, applications can be downloaded online by clicking the following link for the Borough of Edgewood Parking Permit Application. (Adobe Reader required.)  The fees and instructions are contained within the application.  Permits purchased after January 1 for the current year are pro-rated by the remaining number of months in the year.

Q: How do I pay for a borough parking ticket issued to my vehicle?  

A: Parking tickets can be mailed in (postage necessary) or paid in person at the police department Monday through Friday from 8:00AM until 12:00AM.  If you wish to pay after hours or during the weekend, a drop box is conveniently located outside the main entrance to the borough building.  It is preferred that you pay by check or money order.  Failing to respond to a parking ticket will result in a state traffic citation being issued via US mail.  This will include a steeper fine and additional court costs.  Borough Parking Tickets $25 within 72 hours $35 after 72 hours. 

Q: Can the police make extra patrols past my house if I am away on vacation?  

A: Yes.  You may visit the police department in advance between Monday and Friday from 8:00AM until 12:00AM or call (412) 242-0958 during that time frame to let us know when you will be away.  An effort will be made to increase patrols in your area.

Q: Does the Edgewood Police Department charge fees for responding to false alarm activations?  

A: The police department allows for one non-billable false alarm activation for each residence or commercial establishment per calendar year.  A second false alarm activation will result in a $50.00 fine.  A 3rd -7th occurrence $80, 8th or higher occurrence $200. 

Q: I am moving into or out of the borough and will be having a large moving truck in front of my residence.  Can I have temporary “No Parking” signs placed in front of my residence?  

A: Yes.  You will need to make arrangements at least one week prior to your moving date.  Arrangements can be made by visiting or calling the police department Monday through Friday from 8:00AM until 12:00AM.  The number is (412) 242-0958.

Q: Do I need a permit to solicit within the Borough of Edgewood, and if so, what are the fees?  

A: Yes.  All solicitors are required to have a permit issued by the Borough of Edgewood.  Non-profit or government solicitors are exempt from any fees but must obtain a permit.  The fees for all others are $25.00 per person/per day and $100.00 per person/per week.  Permits may be obtained by visiting the borough office Monday through Friday between 8:30AM and 5:00PM.  Using the following link, you may also download the Edgewood Borough Permit to Solicit application. (Adobe Reader required.)

Q: Does the Borough of Edgewood have a curfew restriction for persons under the age of eighteen, and if so, what are the requirements?  

A: Yes.  Any unaccompanied person(s) under the age of eighteen may not remain on the streets, alleys, parks, or public places in the Borough of Edgewood between the hours of 10:00PM and 5:00AM.  Violators, if stopped, may be subject to a fine of $25.00 plus additional court costs.

Q: Who is the magistrate for the Borough of Edgewood and where is their office located?  

A: The elected magistrate for Magisterial District Court #10 is Kimberly M. Hoots. District Court #10 is located in the Penn West Building at 907 West Street, Third Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15221 (Borough of Wilkinsburg) and the phone number is (412) 241-7052. As of January 1, 2012 all new court matters will be handled through this office and no longer at District Court #8 in Forest Hills, PA, due to a magisterial district re-organization that occurred during the previous year.


Return to Top